- Steans Center
- Student Records
- Academic Calendar
- Campus Connection
DePaul Teaching & Learning Blogs
The Scholarship of Teaching and Learning (SoTL) is a growing discipline dedicated to taking teaching and learning as serious intellectual work. At DePaul, SoTL is defined as:
"The rigorous investigation of student learning, with the purpose of developing novel teaching methodologies and practices that can lead to the measurable enhancement of student learning. The results of the investigation are made public through quality scholarly outlets and widely-accepted conferences and general or discipline-specific journals."
The definition makes clear that SoTL is ultimately about improving student learning. Investigating what and how students learn can help faculty develop innovative teaching practices that lead students to significant learning gains. SoTL’s focus on improving student learning aligns with DePaul’s Vision 2018, which testifies to the university’s commitment to enhancing academic quality and supporting educational innovation. Furthermore, in January 2014 the University Faculty Council passed a resolution that strongly endorses the inclusion of SoTL in faculty merit reviews and promotion and tenure evaluations. For more on SoTL and DePaul, visit the Office for Teaching, Learning and Assessment's blog.
- SoTL Conferences. Upcoming conferences on the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning sponsored by a variety of institutions.
- Grants for Teaching. Highlighted grants available for research on teaching at DePaul.
There are a number of academic journals with a focus on SoTL, both across the disciplines and within them. Some of the most influential interdisciplinary journals are listed below:
- International Journal for the Scholarship of Teaching & Learning
- Journal of the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning
- College Teaching
- Updates from DePaul's Office for Teaching, Learning and Assessment informs the DePaul community about its recent activities, many of them related to SoTL
- The Chronicle of Higher Education Blogs. Multiple blogs from the Chronicle of Higher Education, including ProfHacker, a blog about teaching and technology.
- Inside Higher Ed - Teaching & Learning. A collection of news articles, blog posts, and other information centered around the topic of teaching and learning.
- The Learning Network from the New York Times. While this blog is more focused on K-12 schools and not college, it still does a good job of presenting news stories and other information from the Times in contexts that can easily be adapted to higher learning environments.
- Faculty Focus - The Teaching Professor Blog. Dr. Maryellen Weimer, editor of The Teaching Professor newsletter and author of Learner-Centered Teaching: Five Key Changes to Practice, provides weekly practical insights into the field of teaching.
- Bibliography of SoTL books, grouped by topic. These books are available for checkout at DePaul's Office for Teaching, Learning, and Assessment in the Lewis Center.
- Recommended SoTL books ranging from introductions to the field to practical handbooks. From Indiana University.
- DePaul - Specific Grants
- Teaching and Learning Grant Opportunities - Vanderbilt University's Center for Teaching lists a number of external funding sources
- Funding Opportunities or Teaching and Learning by the Univ. of Central Florida notes a range of potential funding sources for research, including the US Dept. of Education
Projects and Organizations
- IDEA papers provide useful ideas related to teaching and faculty evaluation. From the IDEA Center of Kansas State which serves colleges and universities committed to improving learning, teaching, and leadership performance.
- Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching is an independent policy and research center devoted to improving teaching and learning
- CDM Innovation in Technology Education Center (iTec) is a nationally-recognized source of innovative technology teaching through relevant research and collaborative activities, as well as a resource for corporations, other academic institutions, alumni and students.
Videos and Podcasts
- Teaching Commons Videos, including the 2013 Fall Forum keynote presentation by Peggy Maki PhD, which addresses SoTL generally
- Inside HigherEd. Podcasts for faculty, students, and others interested in the state of higher education.
- Digital Campus. Digital Campus is a biweekly discussion of how digital media and technology are affecting learning, teaching, and scholarship across a range of educational institutions.
Teaching & Learning Websites
- Vanderbilt Center for Teaching. Includes an overview of SoTL and other topics in teaching, such as just-in-time teaching and flipping the classroom.
- Georgetown Teaching Commons. Features an interactive teaching handbook, faculty profiles in innovative teaching, and other resources.
- Stanford Teaching Commons. Highlights relevant teaching strategies by using case studies, for example.
- MIT Teaching and Learning Laboratory. Teaching materials and definitions including resources on learning objectives, course evaluations, and grading rubrics.
Send a teaching and learning question to the Teaching Commons
Share a resource with the Teaching Commons