- Steans Center
- Student Records
- Academic Calendar
- Campus Connection
DePaul Teaching & Learning Blogs
Faculty Instructional Technology Services (FITS) provides training to faculty planning or designing an online or hybrid course and to departments planning for an online program. Re-conceiving a course for online delivery involves designing active and collaborative learning activities that take full advantage of digital communication. For more information see:
- Teaching online, an introduction to the DePaul Online Teaching Series program
- How to use digital communication to facilitate discussion among students
- Collaborative learning in an online environment
Strategies and Resources
Here are just a few strategies and resources to keep in mind while developing an outline course:
- Work with an instructional designer experienced with developing online classes. Contact a FITS liaison early in the design process.
- Design the course as an online learning community
- Create questions that encourage discussion and analysis. Online discussion is at the heart of the online learning environment.
- Include an icebreaker assignment to both gauge student knowledge and also to serve as a get-to-know-you activity.
- Select learning materials to take full advantage of the World Wide Web: check library resources for journal articles and graphic images; identify graphic, audio, or video materials to engage online learners.
- Provide clear assignment policies including, due dates and the policies if assignments are late, and expectations for discussion forum participation. Grading rubrics reduce student anxiety and focus student work.
- Review the Online in the Classroom PDF from the Dean of Students Office, which offers tips for addressing and minimizing disruptive behavior in online classes.
- Consultation and resources on developing online, hybrid.
- Design and development of learning activities enriched by technology.
- Resources on developing multimedia curriculum resources.
- Technology training and quickguides for faculty and students